- Pray that we would be in the habit of continual confession, repentance and restoration in our home.
- Pray that Dave and I would take every thought captive to Christ.
- Pray that we would flee from iniquity.
- Pray that we would continually cleanse ourselves from what is dishonorable so that we will be set apart as holy and useful to the Lord, ready for every good work.
- Pray that we would pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace.
Thursday, July 24, 2014
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
"I will say to the LORD, 'My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.' For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday."
- Pray that the Lord would protect us while driving in Cameroon.
- Pray that the Lord would protect us from malaria, falaria, dengue fever and other diseases carried by biting insects.
- Pray that our kids would not break any bones, need stitches, etc.
- Pray that the Lord would protect us from thieves.
- Pray that the Lord would allow us to remain healthy so that we can do the work of Bible translation.
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
- Pray that the Lord would render the Boko Haram impotent and unable to carry out their terrorist activity.
- Pray that there would be divisions within themselves which would thus render their group powerless to "accomplish" anything.
- Pray that we would be able to freely work in the South for decades and not have to leave due to terrorism or any other sort of threat.
- Pray for those held hostage by the Boko Haram, that they would be freed.
- Pray that we (and other Christians in Nigeria and Cameroon) would not "be afraid of those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul" (Matt 10: 28).
- Pray that the fear of God would fall over this terrorist group and they would bow the knee "to the one who can destroy both body and soul in Hell" (Matt 10:28).
Monday, July 21, 2014
- Pray that Dave and I would test what we experience in this new culture according to Scripture rather than according to American culture.
- Pray that we would not renounce something because it is uncomfortable or different from our home culture, but that that we would rather abstain the things that God considers to be evil.
- Pray that we would be wise in with whom we partner (or choose not to partner) in our ministry.
Sunday, July 20, 2014
However, pray that we would equally guard our time in Cameroon so that we can translate the Bible (we could easily turn into the local “bank” in the village if we do not set some boundaries).
Pray that God would give us wisdom as to when to give and when to not and pray that our motives would be merciful and loving in both cases.
Saturday, July 19, 2014
"Behold, I have made your face as hard as their faces, and your forehead as hard as their foreheads. Like emery harder than flint have I made your forehead." - Ezekiel 3:8-9
- Please pray that we, like Ezekiel, would be as stubborn as the language that we are trying to conquer.
- Pray that our character would be refined as we learn to endure, even when we want to quit.
- Pray that we would be able to hear the tones of this language.
- Pray that we would write it down accurately.
- Pray that we would continue to study even when we do not see progress.
- Pray that the Lord would provide us with excellent language partners.
- Pray that we would have the mentality of “Master our new language or death.”
Friday, July 18, 2014
The thinking that has been termed the “Prosperity Gospel” teaches that success, wealth, and health belong to the Christian now and thus he can “name” and “claim” what he wants and God is more-or-less entitled to give it to him. Please see our blog posts for a more thorough explanation.
Thursday, July 17, 2014
Pray that in the midst of culture shock/stress that we would not neglect to call out to God who is our rock.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Day of Prayer #2: Pray for the Salvation and Participation of our Children in Ministry to the Cameroonians
- Pray that the Lord would cause our children’s hearts to be the “fertile soil” as described in the parable of the sowers so that when they hear the Word that they would receive it with joy and bear much fruit.
- Pray that they would not only have a personal relationship with Christ, but that they would also want to serve him in ministry.
- Pray that, in time, the Lord would lead them to do oral Bible-storying projects among the children in our people group.
- Pray that they would learn to share their possessions.
- Pray that they would long to see the Lord worshiped by the peoples of Cameroon.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
Spending the last year in a new culture has really humbled us. We now know that we enter a new culture as "children" as we have to learn how to speak, how to read the street signs, how to cook, and so on. It truly shows the power of God that he uses clueless people from across the globe to bring about his Kingdom among unreached people groups. Thus, as we enter another new culture, we know that we are totally dependent on the Lord to save people through two tired, sinful, culturally awkward people like us. All that to say, join us in prayer the next 14 days that the Lord's power might be displayed in Cameroon even through people like us.
- Please pray that all the “facts” of various languages would be available to us so that we could make a good decision.
- Pray that we would be able to find language groups that are similar enough that we could even do multiple translations.
- Pray that the Lord would lead us to a people group that is incredibly motivated to join us in the work of translation.
- Pray that the Lord would give us wisdom as to who to translate for and even where to live among that people group.